Welcome to the Digital Alcohol Studies Archives! This site hosts the digitized collections formerly held by the Rutgers Center of Alcohol and Substance Use Studies (CAS). Also available is the Alcohol Studies Database containing over 80,000 citations from 1956 to 2007 for journal articles, books, book chapters, dissertations, conference papers, and audio-visual materials.
- Search the Digital Collection
- Search the Alcohol Studies Database
Rutgers CAS is a leader in research, education and training on alcohol and other drugs, and over its more than eighty years of existence has been both a vital part of the history of the field and a crucial institutional repository for the preservation and dissemination of that history, dating back to its inaugural survey of scientific literature on alcohol in 1940.
The Information Services Division of CAS closed in December 2016, and its archival holdings were moved to off-site storage closed to the public in the Rutgers University Libraries’ Annex, located on Rutgers’ Busch Campus in Piscataway, NJ. This project, the Alcohol Studies Archives, seeks to make these collections visible and discoverable again for the Rutgers community and other interested scholars. It is our hope that digitizing and making accessible these selected resources, if only a small portion of a vast archive, will help highlight these collections and preserve the memory of the field’s history for the next generation of researchers.
- The 80th Anniversary Exhibit of the Summer School of Alcohol Studies
- "Firsts" in Alcohol Studies
- Publications at Yale and Rutgers CAS
- The Mysterious E. M. Jellinek
From the Digital Alcohol Studies Archives
- Browse items in CAS Publications Collection
- Browse items in Notable People Collection
- Browse items in Summer School of Alcohol Studies Collection
- Browse items in CAS Archives Special Collections
- Browse images only in the CAS Archives Image Collection
- Browse all related documents available in RUcore, the Rutgers University Community Repository
- Browse all related images available in the Alcohol Studies Collection in the Alcohol Studies Archives